Mr Riggs The Magnet McLaren Vale Grenache 2018 (6 Bottles)Regular price $180.00 Sale price $149.94
Offering gorgeous fruit purity and perfume, the wine shows Black Doris plum, mixed berry compote, floral and subtle spice aromas on the nose, followed by a succulent palate that’s supple and fleshy. It’s elegant and flavoursome at the same time, making it fabulously drinkable.
93 Points - Sam Kim
The 100 year old dry grown Grenache vines are located at Dogridge vineyard in McLaren Vale. The vines are low yielding but each bunch provides a concentrated array of flavours from ripe cherries to plums and blackberries. On the nose is raspberry perfume, laden with cherries and liquorice. Vibrant earth plum with hints of spice of cumin, wooden bark and chocolate round the palate and give it an unctuous mouth feel.
Having always wanted to make a Grenache and a variety that is making its own cult following in the region, I was drawn to a parcel of McLaren Vale fruit in which 100-year-old Grenache vines were destined to be bulldozed. After witnessing the destruction of the ‘Vine Pull Scheme’ of the 1980’s where a majority of old vine Grenache was decimated in the region, I was determined to make sure these gnarly old vines were set to live longer……the rest they say is history.
The 100-year-old Grenache dry grown vines are located at ‘Dogridge Vineyard’ in the McLaren Vale region. Approximately 1 hectare of single wire trellis with wide spur spacing to keep yields low, fruit exposed to sunlight and good air flow around the bunches grow in the alluvial soil of the Kurragong geology formation, this well-drained soil is optimal for Grenache growing. These old vines are low yielding, but each bunch provides a concentrated array of flavours from ripe cherries to plums and blackberries. Hand picked, 15% whole bunches were put into 5 tonne open fermenter with the remaining 85% crushed onto the top of the Grenache bunches. A daily program of pump overs assists in the partial carbonic maceration which adds complexity to the wine.
Enticing raspberry perfume, laden with cherries, liquorice and savoury notes fill the nose. Vibrant earthy plum with hints of spice of cumin, wooden bark and chocolate round the palate and give it an unctuous mouth feel. As the name suggests, ‘The Magnet’ captures the spirit of my second born son, who naturally seems to attract things (both good and bad). The chemistry continued through the winemaking process for the 2018 vintage, resulting in a vibrant and generous wine, very typical of McLaren Vale Grenache. A fine tribute to a fine young man; and a perfect homage to a perfect find.
Region: McLaren Vale, SA
Variety: Grenache 100%